Carpets cleaning methods are not the same. There are actually many different ways to clean different types of carpets. Many people don’t realize that carpet fibers are not all the same, so some types of carpets require a different cleaning method. Some cleaners can also be harmful to some carpet fibers, while they work wonders on other types. It is essential to complete your preliminary research before any carpet cleaning company enters a home and cleans the carpet using whatever method they want to use, regardless of what is best for the carpet.
Having your carpets professionally cleaned is the best way to clean it. However, if the cleaning method used damages the life of the carpet, then it serves no purpose. This type of mistake can cost you a lot of money and you may even have to replace the carpet. To stay informed, it may be a good idea to learn about some of the different carpet cleaning methods and how they work.
Here are a few different carpet cleaning methods:
- Shampooing the carpet; This is usually the least effective method for any rug. When cleaning carpets, cleaning agents are applied directly to the carpet and then professional carpet cleaners use a machine that activates the cleaner. They then use a vacuum cleaner to remove the cleaner and clean the carpet. The detergents used are formulated in such a way that the carpet is bright and fragrant. However, it does little to remove dirt from the carpet backing.
- Dry Cleaning Carpets; Most people recommend the dry cleaning method over others. This is really helpful as there is little to no downtime as the carpet does not have to dry as long as other methods require. Usually, the process is completed by using a special cleaning powder. It is poured onto the carpet and it automatically starts attracting dirt. This is also a good method because even though the carpet may be wet for a while, the oxygen bubbles help to remove dirt from the carpet base so it can be cleaned more effectively.
- Foam Carpet Cleaning; This method is also very useful. It requires a bit of the shampoo method and then mixing it with the dry cleaning method. A cleaning foam and a little water are applied to the carpet. The cleansing foam is also designed to attract dirty dust and harmful fibers like powder from dry cleaning. It moves through the carpet, and then the foam with all the particles of dirt and dust that accumulates in it is removed from the carpet. This method works best on harder carpets due to the foam’s nature and vacuum.
- Steam Cleaning Carpets; Steam cleaning carpets is probably one of the most well-known cleaning methods and is also used a lot. It has its drawbacks because it uses a lot of water. When water sinks deep into carpet pads, it becomes damaged enough that the carpet needs to be replaced. However, if steam cleaning is done correctly and not too often, it can be effective. This is also known as “hot water extraction” and basically it works by a very powerful machine that injects hot water and a cleaning solution deep into the carpet. Then the machine removes the cleaner with strong suction. All of these tend to remove the most dirt from the carpet, however, they can cause damage to the carpet over time. This also means that the carpet will be wet for a while, so don’t use this method as a quick fix as there is nothing quick about it.
- Bonnet Carpet Cleaning; This method is mostly used for commercial buildings due to the amount of carpet inside. It’s not intended to be particularly efficient, as commercial buildings also experience a lot of traffic. Basically, this method will keep the carpets fresh and clean.